Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Date Trees in the Desert

 
 
“Maybe God created the desert so that man could appreciate the date trees, he thought” (page 88). I think that when Santiago thought this, he meant that there are some things in life you don’t realize how important they are until something different happens and then it hits you how important it actually is, but you had never thought about it that way until then. This thought Santiago had made me think of when I read a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book once, where there was a part when Greg wrote a picture book about a man who thought polar bears were useless animals. Then, the man rode his car off of a bridge, and a polar bear saved his life. The man said that polar bears weren’t such useless animals after all. So that’s an okay example of one thing that I think Santiago’s thought meant.
 
Also, he might mean that even in the saddest times, there will always be something happy you know of to keep your spirits high. The desert would be the sadness, and the date trees would be the happy thing that optimists always know to think of. For example, I was really sad last year when I really hit my knee hard at school. I couldn’t play in the volleyball tournament because it hurt to move it, not even saying how much it would hurt if I had to slide on my knees to hit a ball flying my way! But, the pluses I thought about were, I hoped that we would do good in the game, and at least I wasn’t going to make my knee hurt a lot more by playing.
 
So the things I think Santiago’s thought meant are that there’s some things in life that don’t seem important at first, but important later on, and that in the saddest times there’s always something happy to think about.


No comments:

Post a Comment