Friday, October 19, 2012

Luck and Coincidences

   
     On Page 72, the Englishman said, “If I could, I’d write a huge encyclopedia just about the words luck and coincidence.  It’s with these words that the universal language is written.”

    I think that the roles luck and coincidence play in creating the universal language are that by coincidence, people could meet their future wife or husband, a life could be saved, someone could bump into a friend when they are at a faraway place, and more.  With you, Mr. Vack, I think that it was a coincidence of how you met Ms. Thao, not luck.
    Next, I think that luck’s role is winning something big or small, or something else good happening to you.  Another kind or luck could be you getting an injury, losing something, or something else.

    The roles that luck has played in my life are when I won a $50 gift card once, and also my biggest win, when I won a recliner chair from Vern’s in Eureka, less than a year ago.  Some other roles that luck has played  are when I was about eight or nine, and was running to my neighbor’s house.  I tripped and fell flat on my face, which hurt a lot!  Also, there was the time when I was playing on the monkey bars on Mother’s Day a few years ago, when I tried to do a trick on the high bar and fell on my back and somehow broke my wrist.  I think it was bad luck that my wrist broke,  but a coincidence that it happened on Mother’s Day.

    A big role that coincidence has played in my life was over the Summer, but  my family was planning on building a house on our property when my parents’ friend Stephen Leach, who’s a well worker, was working at an oceanfront  house for sale and thought of us so he told us about it.  Then we ended up buying the house, and now live in it!

1 comment:

  1. Sierra, i just wanted to thank you for posting this. I have an essay due tomorrow about the alchemist, in which i had to interpret the englishman's quote, and this completely saved my life! (and my lit grade :D)

    Thanks a million!
    -Sean D.

    P.s, hmu sometime!

    ReplyDelete